Thursday 5 July 2018

It's Wimbledon again. Pimms on the pesticide free lawn anyone...


July 1990. North Gardner street, Glasgow's West End. I’m in my grandmother’s house, Wimbledon is on the TV. I’ve been watching it since 1982. My mum was a fan of Jimmy Connors, I wasn’t.  I will, however, forever remember the final of ’82 against McEnroe. I digress. Back to July 1990. It’s 12 degrees and grey in Glasgow. In London it’s 30 degrees and sunny. Hmmm…I remember thinking. I've always liked that decadent Englishness; Pimms on the lawn, Gin and Tonic in the sun etc. that is, not the public school shenanigans or imperialistic slaughter. Enough of the politics.
July 2013. In London, it’s 30 degrees again and Andy Murray is about to win Wimbledon. Now, it isn’t always 30 degrees in London, heatwaves come and go. The last one was in 2013, as it happens.  Andy won’t win this year sadly, obviously and maybe never again, but that memory is there and will never fade. So back to the heatwave. Over 3 weeks it lasted. Three weeks of the Spanish Plume as they call it. It’s basically hot, hot air from the Azores that crosses over the Spanish mainland and makes it all to way us. Well to London, anyway, not always to Scotland but I believe this year, so far, so good. The Blue Nile, one of my favourite bands, who happen to be from Glasgow, once wrote a song called Heatwave. Seems aptly ironic. Listen to it, if you haven’t heard it, pure magic chorus.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PypoQDHG6Kg

            So why all this weather talk? Well we’re in the middle of another heatwave, for those of you on other continents who bother to read my blog. Mediterranean air always feels a little odd, when you’re not in the Mediterranean but a northern European city. Extremely pleasant, but a little incongruous, ultimately, when it lasts so long. Still, I’m not complaining and neither are the pl
 
-ants, until a hosepipe ban comes into force making my watering of them a bit more laborious.

            Not surprisingly, the Mediterranean heat has gone down well with the Mediterranean plants. The Scabious is the bees knees, the Dhalia is literally, in the pink and the Lavender, the Rosemary and Thyme are having a whale of a time and the bees also, as a result.
            Chatting to the lady of the house recently, she concluded that this holy trinity may well be her favourite plants or certainly her favourite herbs, I might have had a Negroni which can affect one’s listening capabilities. I realize Lavender isn't a herb. I cannot disagree with this, they are marvellous plants with unique perfumes and flavour, and dare I say it, personalities. It is, however, dare I also say it, two slightly less glamorous plants that are giving equal pleasure at the moment; Daisies and Clover. I planted the Daisies last year, they not only survived the harsh winter but are positively brimming with life. The clovers have only appeared on the lawn in the last week or so and are very welcome, being particularly reminiscent of my childhood. Of playing football on our back green when I was about 9 or 10. Thinking of that, I think of clovers.  Close contact with grass; a lawn or a park, seems to be something that I did more of as a child, especially a lawn with flowers growing naturally.  That might just be my personal experience but it seems modern gardening and tastes have encouraged prim, weed-free lawns and that has its place but I rather prefer a lawn with some clovers, daisies and buttercups and so on. Obviously if I was playing at Wimbledon, I might be a little less romantic.  Never has an if, been a bigger if.
             Another Mediterranean herb which I love and is also thriving, is the basil. With an extraordinarily heady scent, it’s one of my favourite culinary herbs. It’s lush, green leaves are more reliant on heat and sun than say Thyme or Rosemary so it’s time may be be limited but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts and ensure that the slugs don’t. No pellets in this garden, beer traps only, incidentally, though the dry weather seems to have limited their presence anyway. Fingers crossed.


            The roses remain coy but I think it may be a little English reserve with this undignified and excessive heat. I don’t deal so much with our ornamental garden, that’s the lady’s domaine but I do appreciate what they bring. The petunias have finally appeared, coaxed out, it would seem by this lovely warm air. They have little value for pollinators such as bees and hoverflies but they do provide some wonderful colour and theatricality. Lobelia are equally resplendent but the bees like them which is an added bonus. Look at the insects in your garden. Lots of buzzing things is a good sign. We’ve had some good butterfly sightings this year too. Red Admirals, Cabbage Whites, Speckled wood and a few others including the tiny blue ones. I think few things give me more pleasure at this time of year than a butterfly. Makes you think. What is it this power that can create such beauty and such fragility. Such wistful frivolity and such vulnerability. It's beyond me.
And this weather may even encourage a more exotic and spectacular visitor from Southern Europe in the coming weeks. More of that next time…and of my foray in the property market to try and help the solitary bees and wasps.

No comments:

Post a Comment